[New York, NY] October 31, 2023 -The Dr. Edward B. Shils Entrepreneurial Fund, Inc. ( “Shils Fund”), a non-profit organization dedicated to the recognition and development of innovative and entrepreneurial leaders in oral health care and named after the late Dr. Edward B. Shils, held its annual Shils Awards ceremony on October 17, 2023. The ceremony, which took place at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, featured the presentation of awards to tenured health care professionals and introduced its new nationwide practice pitch event competition program.
At this year’s event, the Shils Fund presented the Innovation Awards, which recognizes individuals, organizations, and programs that have made a significant impact on the oral health community and public health overall. This year’s recipients include:
- Dr. Christian S. Stohler, Dean of the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, received the “Shils-Meskin Award”, given to those who have made outstanding contributions to dentistry or its allied sciences, and named for two distinguished clinicians, researchers, and educators: Dr. Edward Shils and Dr. Larry Meskin, in recognition for being an exceptional innovative dental educator who has made incredible strides in data integration into dental education.
- Dr. Anne L. Koch, Founder and Past Director of the postdoctoral program in endodontics at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and Founder and Past CEO, Real World Endo, received the “Cohen-Volpe Award”, given to those who made great innovative strides in the health care space and honors Dr. D. Walter Cohen and Dr. Anthony Volpe. Dr. Koch was recognized for her innovative approach to entrepreneurship, teaching and leadership in oral health.
- Dr. Jennifer Webster-Cyriaque, Deputy Director of National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, received the “Excellence in Research Award” in recognition for her research of the oral microbiome and oral health on HIV and cancer-causing viruses and leadership roles of the Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance.
- Primary Care Collaborative received the “Excellence in Community Award” in recognition for its prolific writing on why integrating primary and oral health care is critical to improving population health and addressing health inequity.
- Mr. Abe Kasbo, Founder and CEO of Verasoni Worldwide, received the “Excellence in Industry Award” in recognition of his innovation and philanthropic efforts to support oral health.
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) received the “Special Recognition Award”, given to individuals, organizations or programs that have made significant positive impacts on the dental community. The organization was recognized for its 75 years of innovation and excellence to improve overall health for all individuals and communities.
- Student National Dental Association (SNDA) also received the “Special Recognition Award,” in recognition for its innovative spirit and ongoing efforts in breaking down barriers for equitable representation in the dental profession and in advancing community engagement.
During the event, the Shils Fund presented a panel discussion, “Panel Presentation: So What Difference Does It Make? A Panel Discussion on Entrepreneurship”. Carey Lyons, Dental Business Advisor served as moderator and panelists included Dr. Anne Koch, Founder and past CEO and Chairman of Real World Endodontics; Inventor and Entrepreneur, Dr. Hyun (Michel) Koo Co-Founding Director, Center For Innovation & Precision Dentistry Professor, Department of Orthodontics U Penn School of Dental Medicine and Professor Lori Rosenkopf, Vice Dean of Entrepreneurship at Wharton, University of Pennsylvania. Panelists shared their personal and professional insights on encouraging and supporting entrepreneurship.
In addition to the Innovation Awards and Panel Discussion, “The Great Oral Health Pitch: Innovate, Elevate and Generate Your Idea to Advance Oral Health!” program was announced. Keith Drayer, President of The Shils Entrepreneurial Fund notes, “Through a series of educational webinars and in-person “practice pitch” nationwide events, the program expands upon the Shils Partnership Awards Program, which was launched in 2022 to continue Ed Shils’ legacy of his enthusiasm for learning and pursuit of innovation by encouraging young entrepreneurs and students to compete and foster innovation in the field of oral health”. Sponsored by Henry Schein, Inc., DMG, Septodont, Bank of America, and Bien Air USA, one of the four Shils Partnership Award winners will be selected to win the Great Oral Health Pitch Grand Prize worth more than $50,000 in business launch marketing, cash, networking and more!
The in-person “practice pitch” events will take place at three major industry meetings; The Greater New York Dental Meeting, California Dental Association and Chicago Midwinter. Winners will be announced at next year’s Shils Annual Awards Program.
For young entrepreneurs and students interested in participating in the Great Oral Health Pitch program by attending a live pitch event or virtual webinar, please visit The Great Oral Health Pitch Program.
About The Dr. Edward B. Shils Entrepreneurial Fund, Inc.
Named after the late Dr. Edward B. Shils, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to innovative approaches and entrepreneurial leadership to advance oral health. Dr. Shils was the Executive Director of the Dental Manufacturers of America and the Dental Dealers of America for almost 50 years. He was an extraordinary innovator, educator and business leader with an unparalleled entrepreneurial spirit and saw a need for business to encourage more innovation and entrepreneurship at every level. Established in 2002 by his friends and colleagues in the dental industry, the Shils Fund honors the pioneering vision of Dr. Shils and inspires innovation in current and future health care entrepreneurs.
For more information, please visit: www.ShilsFund.org.
Press Contact: Jamie Pirowskin, Executive Director at email@example.com or 646.620.4774.